If you’re having troubles in your testosterone count, sex drive and mental health, you probably have encountered TRT in your journey of solution searching. Testosterone Replacement Therapy or TRT is one of the leading treatments to cure and improve physical and sexual health for aging men and women these days. In fact, according to an article from Pharmacy Times in 2016, the number of Testosterone prescriptions has followed an upward trend since 1999.
Because of TRT’s demand, most clinics already are offering cheaper costs which makes everyone required to know every little detail about this therapy.
If you’re planning to undergo TRT, make sure to take note of the following facts about Testosterone Replacement Therapy:
1. Testosterone is a hormone produced by the testes in men and ovaries in women and by the adrenal glands on both sexes. It stimulates the growth of male characteristics. As we age, our testosterone level also decreases which results in decreased sex drive, hair and muscle tone.
2. Testosterone was first synthesized in 1935 and became commercially available as a pharmaceutical drug in the form of pellets in 1937. Intramuscular testosterone undecanoate was introduced for oral use in Europe during the 1970s although it had been used by China for several years. This was not introduced in Europe and the United States until much later.
3. TRT brings about a bunch of benefits specially to aging men such as increased sex drive, decreased fat and improved mood.
4. Many menopausal women are using TRT to improve their libido.
5. Testosterone can be taken in multiple forms such as:
- Transdermal (Patches)
- Topical (Gels)
- Intramuscular (Injection)
- Subcutaneous (Implant Administration)
6. TRT is designed to be long-term therapy.
To know more about TRT and the essential benefits it can give, check out the infographic below.